The Triumph Cars Of The Motor Company

Triumph Classic CarsPicture Of Triumph Classic Cars

In 1930 the company changed its name to the Triumph Motor Company. It was clear to Holbrook that there was no future in pursuing the mass manufacturers and so decided to take the company upmarket with the Southern Cross and Gloria ranges. At first these used engines made by Triumph but designed by Coventry Climax but from 1937 they started to make them to their own designs by Donald Healey who had become the company’s Experimental Manager in 1934.

Triumph-Classic CarsPicture Of Triumph Classic Cars

The company hit financial problems however and in 1936 the Triumph bicycle and motorcycle businesses were sold, the latter to Jack Sangster of Ariel to become Triumph Engineering Co. Ltd.. Healey purchased an Alfa 2.3 and developed an ambitious new car with an Alfa inspired Straight-8 engine called the Triumph Dolomite.

Triumph Classic-CarsPicture Of Triumph Classic Cars

In July 1939, the Triumph Motor Company went into receivership and the factory, equipment and goodwill were offered for sale. T.W. Ward purchased the company and placed Healey in charge as general manager, but the effects of World War II again stopped the production of cars and the Priory Street works was completely destroyed by bombing in 1940.



The History Of The Triumph Classic Cars
The Triumph Classic Cars With The Standard Triumph
The History Of The Triumph Classic Cars with Triumph 10/20 cars models
The History Of The Triumph Classic Cars With Leyland and beyond Parts 1

Labels: ,