When it comes to small kitchen layouts, you have to know and understand its basic principles to be able to determine the best layout possible for your house. In the kitchen, the basic and important things that you need to remember are the functionalities to be able to identify the proper layout for your kitchen.
The primary work or functions of a kitchen include the following:
1. Preparation and cooking station
- The basic appliances that are found here are your oven, microwave and range. It would be wise to conserve space and use a countertop in this section.
2. Washing or cleaning up station
- Sink, dishwasher and waste disposal are the ones located here. For your convenience, your trash bin and roll-out tray baskets should be inside a cabinet
3. Food storage station
- Major items like refrigerator and pantry to store your stuffs are positioned here.
Ensuring that the three stations are strategically designed in a work triangle will help you with the proper traffic flow in your kitchen. The work triangle helps one to properly design or plan out your small kitchen layout. This is done by drawing an imaginary triangle for the three primary work stations. As a rule of thumb, the perimeter of the work triangle should measure less than 26 feet.
Even though you have a small kitchen space, there are different small kitchen layouts that are more apt for your needs and lifestyle. Each of the four primary layouts has its own advantages.
1. The G-Shaped Kitchen
- This type of layout offers a huge amount of space with plenty of cabinet space, ideal for large families that need big storage spaces, great for multiple cooking. Also, the extra cabinet leg can be converted into a breakfast nook or a mini bar.
2. The U-Shaped Kitchen
- This is the most common type of layout because of its efficient work triangle. Like the G-shaped layout, one cabinet leg can be converted into a breakfast bar.
3. The L-Shaped Kitchen
- This layout provides a compact work triangle and is the most flexible of all layouts.
The Corridor/Galley Kitchen - This is very appealing and great for those who have a small kitchen space. The good thing about this kind of layout is that you can easily maneuver or reach out your appliances.
4. The Single Wall/Pullman Kitchen
- This is more suitable for contemporary homes, apartments and smaller homes which give an open and airy feel.
With this information, you can start planning and choosing your small kitchen layout. Always bear in mind the work triangle concept and you will be able to remodel or find the perfect small kitchen layout that is right for you and your family.
Vincent has been writing articles for nearly 2 years. His newest interest is in kitchen remodeling. So come visit his latest website that discusses kitchen remodeling product such as apron front kitchen sinks
and find out if fireclay apron sink
is what you need for your kitchen.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Vincent_Pierce